Monday, April 16, 2012

Gaymerica by Scot Moore



Title: Gaymerica
Author: Scot Moore
Publisher: One T Publishing via Amazon CreateSpace
Pages: 278 pages (Kindle Edition)
Rating: 5/5 Stars

I’ll admit right off of the bat that I’m biased. Not only is Scot Moore a very good friend of mine, but I was fortunate enough to be a part of his process in creating this book – I got to read a rough draft.

Also, I may or may not be the girl on the cover.

:D

Okay, so I am. I’m on a book cover!!! It’s so cool.

None of the above, however, is an excuse not to write a thorough review, so here goes.

It’s 2047. The United States has split into two nations. One, America, is a traditionalist Christian nation dedicated to the practices of Capitalism, evangelical Christianity, and heterosexism. The other, the Western States, is the bastard secessionist spawn of America inhabiting the Left coast of the continent.

Corwin Hawley has been selected by the American government to infiltrate the Western States and aid the process of toppling their evil ruler, the Queen Supreme. But, when he arrives, reality and his training come into conflict. Will he stay the course? Or, will he fall victim to the unrelenting allure of the gays? Corwin's battle with Gaymerica is about to begin…

I'll start right off with the bottom line: READ THIS BOOK. Not only is it a fast, entertaining read, it will make you think.


I’ve put off writing my review of this book for over a month because it’s so hard for me to discuss it without getting overly political. I happen to feel quite strongly about the book's central message, but I don't want to do a disservice to the book by getting on my soapbox. In my opinion, whether liberal or a conservative, Christian or atheist, we’re all humans and we can all benefit from exploring the themes Moore discusses in Gaymerica.

What I like most about this book – aside from the fact that I completely, 100% agree with the message of equality and acceptance it presents – is that it doesn’t condemn the very things that have made 2047 America the hostile, fearful environment it has become. Capitalism isn’t evil, Christianity isn’t shunned and not everybody in Gaymerica is, well, gay. Moore expertly depicts how extremes in thinking, either left or right wing, are detrimental to any society with the gentle way he exposes Corwin to new experiences.

I’m also very comfortable recommending this book from a technical standpoint. Gaymerica avoids the same traps of self-publishing with his command of the English language, grammar and punctuation. Gaymerica is a book that any publishing house would be confident and happy to attach their name to.

Moore tells his story through satire – a great choice, in my opinion because it allows him to discuss some pretty explosive and controversial topics without bashing the reader over the head with his views. Considering the plot, Moore could have written Gaymerica as a political thriller, but in doing so he would have lost so much of the human element that gives the story its heart. Life, the whole human existence, is so wonderfully absurd and Corwin’s journey is one any of us could go on.

And one I think more people should.

No comments:

Post a Comment